are the key activities of the department?
The key activities of the department are:
a. To extend primary education to poor children under the jurisdiction
b. To spread knowledge amongst children, irrespective of their
caste, religion or community
c. To arrange different programmes related to education.
2. What class can my child join to begin
A child normally joins the pre-primary or class 1 at the age
of 5 or 6
3. In which language-medium are KMC schools run?
KMC schools impart education in Bengali, Hindi and Urdu.
4. My child will not be able to avail of the day shift school.
Do you run any morning shift or evening shift school?
KMC runs both morning shift and day shift schools. Unfortunately,
KMC does not run evening shift schools.
5. What are school timings for morning and evening shift
Morning shift schools run from 7.00 am to 11.00 am while day
shift schools run from 11:30 am to 4 pm.
6. I cannot afford books for my children. Can books be made
available free of cost?
Yes. KMC is committed to spreading education among all sections
of society. With this in view, free textbooks are supplied
to students in our schools.
7. Is there any mid-day meal arrangement in KMCP School?
Yes, as a part of nutritional support programme under the
Government of India Scheme, every student is provided with
a mid day meal. The government has allocated 3 kgs of rice
per month per student.
Do children undergo health checkups free of cost at KMC
schools? Are medicines provided to sick children?
Yes, children undergo medical check ups free of
cost. Medicines are also provided at free of cost and we are working
towards providing more medicines.
9. Do KMC schools develop the socio cultural aspects of
Yes, music teachers of our schools take classes regularly.
Our teachers train students for participating on special occasions
such as 23rd January, 26th January, 15th August and 8th September.
10. Is the Annual sports meet held every year?
Yes, with exceptions under unavoidable circumstances.
11. Is the Admission form available free of cost?
12. Is there any admission fee?
13. I would like to have my child admitted into your school.
What papers and documents would be required?
You would be required to produce:
a. An admission Form duly filled
b. Birth Certificate of child
c. Residential Certificate
d. Transfer Certificate is required in case of admission for
class II and above.
Provision for admission is also provided even if any of the above mentioned documents is absent.
14. My husband has gone abroad on business. Can I get my
child admitted to a KMC school?
Yes, definitely all mothers are welcome to approach KMC schools
for their children's education.
15. In which classes are students taught at KMCP schools?
KMC has a majority of primary schools. In these schools students
are taught in the following classes:
a. Preparatory (P.P.) to class-IV
b. Up to class-V in some schools
Can my child who belongs to a Bengali family be admitted
to a Hindi medium school?
Yes. KMC does not discriminate among children based on their
backgrounds. Our goal is to reach out to as many children
as possible irrespective of their backgrounds, caste, communities
How many classes are there in your school and how many teachers
teach in these classes?
Usually, four teachers teach students from classes Preparatory
(P.P.) to V. In some schools there are 5 teachers. Also some Non-teaching staffs are there to help.
18. How do you manage in instances where the number of sections/classes
is much higher than the number of teachers?
In such situations, combined classes are held. However, we have recruited more teachers to avoid combining classes.
19 .How often are examinations held in your school?
Examinations are held three times in an academic year.
20. It is January now. We have just shifted from another
city. My child was a student of class-III in her previous
school. Will you kindly admit him/her in your school now?
Few classes are left in the current academic year. Kindly
approach us after the annual examination is over along with
the transfer certificate from previous school.
21. Is there any provision for coaching?
We have no provision for private coaching. But, if required
our teachers teach the students during recesses when necessary.
22. If I want to lodge any complain, then whom should I
Written complain may be submitted to,
Education Department (HQ)., 1,Hogg street /Hogg Building(2nd
floor), Kolkata-700087. Ph. No 22861000, Extn: 2492, 2534
23. Most of the inhabitants in our area are Hindi-speaking,
but there is no Hindi school in our locality. How can we
propose for a Hindi-medium school and to whom?
You may prepare a mass proposal for a Hindi medium school
at your locality and present the same to KMC authorities for
24. Do teachers undergo training?
Teachers usually undergo basic training from Government Primary
Teachers Training Colleges. However, KMC provides training to teachers once they join the schools.
25. How many primary schools are run by KMC? Can you give
a language-wise breakup of these?
There are 263 primary schools under the KMC. (Bengali-154, Hindi - 46 and Urdu – 56, Bengali plus Urdu mixed – 5, Hindi plus Urdu mixed - 2)
26. My child is 11 years old and is engaged in work during regular hours. Do you have any other arrangements for her education?
Unfortunately, KMCP schools do not have evening classes, but the Shishu Shikhsa Kendras have such arrangements.
27. In which classes are students taught in Shishu Shikhsa Kendras?
At the Shishu Shikhsa Kendras, students from classes I to IV are taught.
28. How many Shishu Shikhsa Kendras are there under the KMC?
29. Is there any scope to play in the schools?
KMC has taken initiatives such as attaching parks and playgrounds to its schools in order to encourage students to play cricket, football and other extra curricular activities.
30. Does KMC take up any plan or program to increase interest amongst school students?
Besides providing extra curricular activities, KMC also provides its students with the opportunity to participate in activities involving a trip to Science City, the circus, the zoo and other such places.
31. How many students study in each medium of instruction?
There are 13338 students under Bengali medium, 5611 students under Hindi medium and 6899 students under Urdu medium, 681 Bengali plus Urdu mixed, and 442 Hindi plus Urdu mixed.